Advanced Care Paramedics (ACPs) are integral members of Emergency Medical Services and provide advanced life support, medical and trauma care in health services, community and industrial settings. They may be the first to arrive on scene, they may be the only provider in remote areas, or they may work collaboratively in a team with other EMS/health care providers, first responders (i.e. Fire, Police) or community support agencies.
The ACP scope of practice includes, but is not limited to the following: professional responsibilities, communication, health and safety, assessment and diagnostics, therapeutics, integration, transportation, health promotion and public safety.
The Portage College ACP full-time program is provided using a blended delivery model. This format allows students who are unable to relocate from their home community for the duration of their education program, the opportunity to pursue an Advanced Care Paramedic diploma. By using the multi-modal approach to instruction, students can do the majority of theory instruction from home. For each 3-credit course, students can expect to spend an average of 6-10 hours studying per week.
During the eleven (11) mandatory on-site weeks, practical skills are assessed at the level of proficiency. Some written exams are scheduled during onsite weeks but students may be required to arrange to have other exams supervised at any Portage College campus or by an approved invigilator when not on site. Students are responsible for all costs associated with exam invigilation external to Portage College. The program includes two ambulance placements and a clinical placement.
Graduates are eligible to write the Provincial Registration Examination and become a registered practitioner with the Alberta College of Paramedics which is required to practice as an ACP in Alberta.
Textbooks & Supplies
Forms & Documents
Frequently Asked Questions
A significant demand for Advanced Care Paramedics throughout the Province in rural, urban and industrial settings provides graduates with a broad range of career opportunities.
Year 1 N/A
Year 2 Diploma
- Biology 30 with minimum 60%
- English 30 or 30-1 with minimum 60% OR English 33 or 30-2 with minimum 70%
- Math 20 pure or Math 20-1 with minimum 50% OR Math 20-2 minimum 60%
- Chemistry 30 strongly recommended
Other Requirements & Documents:
- Minimum age 18
- Registered Unrestriced PCP (EMT) with Alberta College of Paramedic (ACP)
- Copy of Heart & Stroke - HCP - Level C certificate issued within six months of program start date
- Photocopy of current Class 4 Alberta driver's license OR Portage College Waiver form
- Police Information Check and Vulnerable Sector Search
- Must attend mandatory selection day in May
- Apple IPad or Android Tablet for competency tracking with CompTracker Program. Please contact the program for additional details or questions.
- Please refer to the following link for Moodle minimum technical requirements: Moodle page.
- ESL - ALL students whose first language is not English must meet one of the following:
IELTS Academic Format with minimum scores as follows: Listening 7.5; Reading 6.5; Writing 7.0; Speaking 7.0.
TOEFL iBT (internet Based) with minimum test scores as follows: Listening 23; Reading 21; Writing 25; Speaking 22.
Note: Testing must have been completed within two years prior to application to the program
Students who complete the ACP program are eligible to apply for admission to the Bachelor of Administration at Athabasca University and the Bachelor of Health Sciences program at SAIT. The following four courses transfer to and from Portage College University Studies; BIOL230 - Anatomy I, BIOL231 - Physiology I, BIOL232 - Physiology II and HEED105 - Personal Health & Wellness.