The one-year Educational Assistant certificate program will prepare you to work alongside teachers in the classroom. You'll study child growth and development, learning strategies, interpersonal skills and professionalism.
Course content provides the student with knowledge and skills in the areas of: child growth and development; learning strategies to support curriculum for diverse learners; interpersonal skills and working as a professional team member. This program offers a combination of theoretical instruction along with practical experience in an educational setting.
Graduates of the Educational Assistant Certificate program are prepared to work in school environments and other agencies providing educational services to children and youth.
Textbooks & Supplies
Early Learning & Child Care and Educational Assistant Booklet
Grade 12 or equivalent including;
- English 30-1 or 30-2 (30 or 33)
- A score of 12.9 on Nelson Denny Test (if less than 60% in English 30/33 or English 30-1 or 30-2)
- Math 10C or 10-3, Math 10 (Applied or Pure), Math 10 or 13
- Criminal Record Check, Child Youth Information System Document (formally CWIS) Alberta Child and Youth Services
- Please refer to the following link for minimum technical requirements on our Moodle page
Practicum locations vary. Students may be required to travel to practicum sites and are responsible for arranging their own transportation, accommodation, and childcare.
Transferability to other provincial colleges is available. Some courses are transferable to the Early Learning and Child Care Certificate program. 30 block credit transfer to the Athabasca University BPA program.