International Student Document Checklist

It’s always a good idea to have a photocopy (or scan) your important documents and keep them in a different place from your originals.


You will need a valid passport to travel to Canada. If you do not have one, you should apply for one as soon as possible as it can take some time to receive. If you already have a passport be sure to check the expiry date, you cannot travel internationally if your passport expires six months or less.

If you have other official identification such as a birth certificate or a valid driver’s license, you should also bring them or a photocopy of them.

Letter of acceptance

Once your application has been approved we will e-mail you a "Conditional Acceptance"  Once you have met the conditions specified in your conditional acceptance you will be sent an Official Letter of Acceptance.

Financial plan

You will have to show evidence that you are able to fund your college tuition and other fees as well as additional living costs, this is called “proof of financial support”. You will need to do this in order to get your study permit.

Here are some ways to provide proof of financial support:

  • proof of a Canadian bank account in your name, if you've transferred money to Canada
  • Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) from a participating Canadian financial institution
  • proof of a student or education loan from a bank
  • your bank statements for the past 4 months
  • a bank draft that can be converted to Canadian dollars
  • proof you paid tuition and housing fees
  • a letter from the person or school giving you money, or
  • proof of funding paid from within Canada, if you have a scholarship or are in a Canadian-funded educational program

Check this Government of Canada page to calculate funds needed to show evidence. 

Study permit

Your study permit is the document that allows you to stay in Canada and study. It is different from a student visa, which is the document that allows you to enter Canada. A study permit costs around $150 CAD. How to apply for a study permit.

Work Permit

If you are enrolled in a program with a practicum/clinical/work placement requirement, you will need a work permit before you can start your placement.

You should start your application for a work permit as soon as you confirm your seat in the program and receive your acceptance letter. With your acceptance, you will find a letter from your program coordinator describing the work placement, which you may use to support your work permit application. You should apply for your work permit at the same time as applying for your study permit.

Check if your program requires a work permit.

Government of Canada Work Permit Information Link.

Health Care

If you registered into one of our programs you will receive a health insurance plan through

This health insurance is included in your fees and is mandatory. It will cover you for emergency medical services while you are studying at Portage College.

We acknowledge that Portage College’s service region is on the traditional lands of First Nation Peoples, the owners of Treaty 6, 8 and 10, which are also homelands to the Métis people. We honour the history and culture of all people who first lived and gathered in these lands.
Facebook Instagram Linkedin RSS Twitter YouTube TikTok